Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's The Great Pumpkin Empanada, Charlie Brown!


I really put my foot in it this time guys. I don't wanna toot my own horn, but beep beep. As I said in yesterday's post, we are having a Halloween potluck at work tomorrow and I decided to make a few dishes. I came across this diamond in the rough while Googling pumpkin recipes and it's a keeper. I added my own touch to it, obvy.

Here are the players:
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice (my own addition)
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (my own addition)
2 15-ounce packages of refrigerated pie pastry (4 rounds total- I use Pillsbury)
2 tbs granulated sugar
2 tbs milk, cream or evaporated milk
flour for dusting

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin, brown sugar, 2 tbs of cinnamon, salt, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Unroll 1 pie crust at a time on a lightly floured surface. Take a 4-inch round cookie cutter (I actually used a martini glass) and start cutting out circles. You can re-roll the dough scraps to get the most circles possible out of it. Nothing goes to waste! Put a tablespoon of the pumpkin filling in the center of each circle and fold the circles in half over the filling. Press down the edges of the empanada with a fork and put on a baking sheet. With your finger, moisten the top of the empanadas with the milk and then sprinkle with a mixture of the granulated sugar and the remaining 2 tbs of cinnamon. Throw those bad boys in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown. Like Katy Perry said, you can eat 'em hot or cold.

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMMYY you're fellow employees are lucky ducks!!Im making these on halloweenie!
    X Deja

    ReplyDelete